Vero Beach, Florida




I first discovered Vero Beach Municipal Marina 20 years ago while helping deliver a sailboat from the Chesapeake to Miami. After four days at sea, and four days of constant seasickness, we finally pulled in at Cape Canaveral and motored south to Vero Beach. The marina was like an oasis, lush and green, well kept, and the moorings were well protected from tropical storms. I remember it as being the highlight of the trip, and I vowed that someday I would be back. It took a while, but I'm finally here!

John Holland unhooks the boat while the forklift operators
decide how they will offload it.
John Holland towed the boat from the Chesapeake this past week, arriving at Fort Pierce, Florida, on Wednesday. The forklift operator put the boat on an outside maintenance rack where I did some cleaning and made some upgrades. I intend to keep the boat here at Taylor Creek Marina in indoor storage for the hurricane season which lasts from June through the end of November.


Solar panel on the cooler.
One of the upgrades was a solar panel mounted on top of the cooler. The wires run from the solar panel, through a deck fitting, to a charge controller mounted in the lazarette locker. Over the winter I had the marina in Maryland connect the two air-conditioner batteries in the lazarette to the house battery in the engine compartment. I never used the air-conditioner unless I was connected to shore power anyway, so the two batteries were just adding weight and taking up space. By connecting them to the house battery, my house storage capacity was tripled. The solar system should provide enough power to light my anchor light, run the bilge pump, and keep my laptop and iPhone charged. We will see if it all works to plan as I intend to stay at the slip in Vero Beach for a month without shore power.

Lil' Green Tug at the Vero Beach City Marina.
The two hour trip up the Indian River Lagoon was uneventful. The river is wide and scenic even though I needed to stay in the deep water confines of the Intracoastal Waterway channel.
After the busy weekend, I intend to ask the Harbormaster if I can keep my inflatable dinghy at the dinghy dock. I have a Maryland-style crab trap I'd like to set and check using the dinghy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North to Sebastian

Lil' Green Tug is Sold!

Back in Vero Beach for the Winter