After a Week Living Aboard



My first night aboard, I twisted and turned, and couldn't sleep. I couldn't figure it out! I had lived aboard a sailboat for a year back on the Chesapeake Bay, and I was always comfortable, even with a fresh coat of snow on the deck and no heat. Around 3:00 in the morning, I got up and pulled my cargo shorts on and walked to the car. First stop--Walmart for a fluffy pillow and a foam mattress topper. Next stop--International House of Pancakes for some comfort food (I was really needing it!) Back to the boat at 5:00 in the morning (at that hour of the night there are absolutely no cars about in downtown Vero Beach!) and after a hot shower at the Marina facilities, I set about making my bedroom afloat comfortable. I cut the foam mattress to fit the v-berth and covered it with a sheet. Then I unzipped the sleeping bag and spread it out like a comforter. Lastly, I fluffed up the new pillow, kicked off my shoes and climbed back in bed. Ahh, the comfort. I slept soundly for four hours. I must admit--I was worried that it would turn out to be a very long winter not being able to sleep! I could always drive back to Indiana, back to the 29-degree temperatures and snow (no thank you!) After a week aboard, I'm sleeping fine and I'm happy to report the Ranger Tug makes a good live aboard boat.


Lest you think I am a hyper-neat, overly fastidious ex-sailor, here's a picture taken at night through the rear pilothouse windows, sleeping bag spread out like a comforter, netbook plugged into the 12-volt outlet, pillows up in the bow. This is how I type on the computer--head forward, feet on the cabin sole. I turn around with my head under the steering wheel to sleep.

Here are a few observations from my first week afloat:
(1) Pony up for shore power. You will need the air-conditioner, refrigerator, cabin lights, etc. Most Ranger Tug 21ec's only have a 12-volt electrical system with a battery charger to top up the house and starter batteries. Everything runs on 12-volts. To my knowledge, this is the only Ranger Tug 21ec that has 25-amp shore power. There is actually a 110-volt outlet in the pilothouse. I was told that the couple who purchased this boat new insisted on shore power, so Ranger Tug reluctantly installed it (and said "Never again!" after the installation.) The 110-volt outlet lets me plug in a ceramic heater, my Logitech Internet radio (can't live without it!), my electric toothbrush, etc.
(2) If you can swing it, keep a SUV or large car to store everything in. There just isn't room for duffle bags, dirty clothes bag, toiletry kit, shoes, shirts, pants, heavier coats, etc. The Ranger Tug 21ec is a SMALL boat. I also keep a 5 x 5 foot storage unit to keep extra coolers, the cushions, crabbing gear, and inflatable dinghy when I'm not cruising (something I hope to do later this winter.)
(3) Be prepared to tell lots of people all about your boat. This boat attracts a lot of compliments and attention.
(4) Here on the Indian River Lagoon in Florida (and elsewhere) there is a small shrimp that snaps its claw shut very quickly causing a cavitation bubble which pops or clicks when it collapses. They do it to stun their prey. It's constant 24-hours a day and sounds just like rain starting to fall on deck. I've woken up a few times in the middle of the night thinking it was starting to rain and I had to close the hatches. The noise is kind of a Chinese dripping water torture, but I'm getting used to it.
(5) People at marinas are interesting, often from far away places, and always with lots of experience and stories to tell. Getting to make new friends is one of the joys of living aboard.

 Been thinking I might get some custom coffee mugs made up with a boat line drawing and the words "Lil' Green Tug, Vero Beach, Florida" silk screened on them. Or maybe some T-shirts. Something to give visitors. Will see . . . I did order from England a "Merry Christmas" flag, and also a burgee with the boat name.

If this rainy weather stops, I hope to get to the beach and work on my suntan :-)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North to Sebastian

Lil' Green Tug is Sold!

Back in Vero Beach for the Winter